What Could Happen?

Supporting children is a huge responsiblity and not one to be taken lightly. With the structure of the family changing, it is imperative that parents understand no one is more responsible for the welfare of your child than you.

A custodial parent cannot receive child support unless paternity is established and a support order requested. Most non-custodial parents honor their legal obligation to pay child support, however, many do not. It is when the non-custodial parent refuses to voluntarily pay child support orders that the Friend of the Court or local child support agency steps in to make sure the support order is enforced.

The Friend of the Court or local child support agency may:

Withhold lottery winnings
Require payment of bonds for furture child support
Enter liens against property
Intercept tax refunds
Provide information to consumer credit reporting
Request Income Withholding orders
Submit information to new hire reporting
Suspend drivers licenses
Suspend occupational licenses
Deny passports

To avoid having your credit approval rating damaged, or any of the measures listed above, pay your child support and if you are unable to do so, contact the Friend of the Court or local child support agency immedately. Do not assume things will just work themselves out. The responsiblity for making sure things work out is in the hands of the non-custodial parent responsible for paying child support.